About NICE application
CCKN-IA developed a backbone IT system called Network for Information on Climate (Ex)Change (N I C E) that can facilitate gathering and disseminating up to date and only relevant information to the farmers for sustainable agriculture. Source of information is from various government organizations and in various formats. Information or expert advices need to be collated, validated and disseminated as text messages (SMS), voice SMS, videos, fact sheets & posters to farmers for adoption to the impacts of Climate Change. The system is completely based on open source technologies and can be accessed through a web- and an android based mobile application.
Features developed in CCKN-IA application for successfully collating, validating and dissemination are listed below:
- Modular architecture: Content Aggregation, Creation, Validation by experts, Translate to local language, disseminate as SMS Text, Voice messages and video messages
- Security: 13 roles with various functionality access, customizable by Admin user. Location specific access (at state, district, block or village level), data level based on user role
- Structured input: Information can be collated and stored in a structured way under specific knowledge domain, sub-domain, topics, sub-topics, location specific, commodity, variety, stage, season, insects & diseases, agro-climatic zones specific.
- Information can be keyed in manually and uploaded from an MS excel sheet
- Workflow: For validation of created content, translated content
- Search: Searching specific content and relevant farmers who needs to be communicated, based on the farmer crop calendar, crop stage, season , etc., and send SMS directly from the application
- Reports: Reports on created content, users, user activities, dashboard views, generate customize report through filters, print in PDF format
- GIS: For displaying thematic maps, overlay and querying. Aid location (nearest fertilized, mechanic, seed shops, disaster aid locations like lifeboat, life jacket, hospitals, etc.,)query and display.
- Customizable: Create new knowledge domain, to specific State(s)
- Mobile App: For creating farmer profile offline in the field, recording farmer queries and feedback, uploading collected data to the server application, downloading content for dissemination, answering farmers queries, playing videos.
N I C E Architecture
A three layered architecture is being implemented – Data layer stores the data in database, Business logics are handled by application layer and the UI Layer takes care of passing on user input to the application layer and displaying the results.
Structured contents are stored in the mongo DB database. Village locations and name are stored with Latitude & Longitude. Contents are stored hierarchically under specific Knowledge domain, Sub-domain, Topics, Sub-topics, etc. Privileged users can create, edit or update, delete master data and contents using the intuitive User Interface.
The business logic to create masters, aggregate content, upload content from an excel sheet, create content manually, validate & approve content, Translate content and approve translated content, , generate crop calendar, search content, search farmers and SMS contents to farmers, download contents are programmed in the application layer using Grails Framework.
Overview of applied frameworks
The tools used for developing the application along with their version is given in the table below:
|Front /Back End||Products||Version|
|Backend Database||Mongo DB||2.4.10|
|Web & Application Server||Tomcat||7.0|
|Development Kit||Java Development Kit||1.7|
|GIS Map Server||GeoServer||2.6|
|Front End Development tool||AngularJS||1.2.23|
|Front End Development tool||JQuery||2.1.1|
|Front End Development tool||HTML||5|
|Front End Development tool||CSS||3|
|GIS Programming Language||OpenLayers||3.0|